Community

Picture of two little girls bullying another little girl.

How to Help Students with Special Needs Avoid Bullying

Recent tragedies in western Massachusetts have reminded us all that bullying can have heartbreaking consequences for students in our schools.

Picture of two teenagers cyber bullying another teenager.

Cyberbullying

While the definitions of cyberbullying, sometimes called online bullying, vary from source to source, most definitions consist of:
electronic forms of contact, an aggressive act, intent, repetition, harm to the target

Picture of a kid with his backpack on.

How three young disabled people dealt with bullies

Research shows disabled children are much more likely to be bullied. Three young people who were once victimised tell their stories and share tips on tackling the problem.

Four photographs of author Matthew Shifrin, arranged in a row, show him touching different parts of his face with his hands.

I was born blind. Here’s how I’m using tech to access the power of facial expressions

When you’re blind, you can’t hear when someone smiles, much less figure out whether that smile is genuine or polite. But I’m learning.

Picture of the health foundation logo.

The power of storytelling

Stories have been used to hand down learning and knowledge for thousands of years. A good story engages our curiosity, emotions and imagination.

Picture of Nila Morton.

I Am Black, Disabled And Beautiful. Here’s Why I Speak Up For Others With Disabilities.

“As a disability advocate, I want Black people with disabilities to be seen, heard and respected as human beings.”

Picture of two kids talking to a man in a wheelchair.

How To Talk To Your Kid About Disabilities

Parents should discuss inclusivity and representation for disabled people with their children.

Picture of a service dog.

Stop Making Degrading Assumptions About People With Disabilities

Most of us have gone beyond the notion of jobs that can be performed only by men or only by women, and that race is something that is a predictor of behaviour of any kind. Why have we not begun to approach our assumptions around disability?

A woman in a park pours a bucket of water during a charity challenge

Is an “Identity Model” Replacing the Charitable, Medical, and Social Models of Disability?

Language is a strange and powerful thing. So are sociological models for traits that describe the six completely disparate groups of people with disabilities.

Identity-first vs. person-first language is an important distinction

About resources on the use of appropriate, respectful language when it comes to how we identify the people who are living with various conditions or disabilities.